This is probably the simplest tempeh dish I know how to make. It’s also one of my favourites and the finished product plays well atop pretty much any grain or vegetable-based dish you can throw at it. It’s relatively quick to make and doesn’t require a whole lot of ingredients: a winner from multiple perspectives.
What you need:
- 8 oz tempeh, diced into 1/2” or 3/4” cubes
- 1/3 cup whole raw cashews
- 1/4 cup sake (rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Mix the sake, tamari, oil and rice vinegar together in an oven-safe dish. Add the tempeh pieces and toss around to coat on all sides.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes depending on the size of the tempeh cubes, stirring about halfway through.
- Add the cashews to the baking dish and mix again. Bake another 5-8 minutes until all the liquid is evaporated and the cashews toasted.
- Remove from the oven and serve. Soak the dish immediately or swear profusely while cleaning.