If you’ve checked out some of the previous posts, you’ll find that rutabaga is one of my favourite root crops. Hearty, homey, humble – it’s the 3H that makes me happy. This simple whipped rutabaga is a nice change from millet mash, cauliflower mash or potatoes of any kind. Creamy and flavourful – it makes a nice bedding for a bean dish or grilled tempeh (for the vegan or plant-based peeps) or white meats (for the paleo and keto crowd).
Yield: 2 cups (1 large serving or 3 small ones) – feel free to upscale the amount as required
What you need:
- 2 small or 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and chopped (250g of peeled and chopped)
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and finely diced (35 g of peeled and diced, optional – omit if keto or if you don’t like parsnip)
- 1 scallion, white part only, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon cashew or macadamia butter (toasted or raw – chef’s choice; you could also add an extra teaspoon or two if you want the dish really decadent…)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- sambar spice, as desired (optional)
- Ras El Hanout, as desired (optional)
- salt, to desired level
What you do:
- Place the rutabaga and parsnip in a medium saucepan. Add about 1/2″ of water in the bottom and sprinkle lightly with a pinch of salt. Cover tightly. Bring the water to a rapid boil and then lower heat to medium-low and simmer until water is absorbed and the vegetables are soft, 15 minutes or so. If the water is drying out before the veggies are nice and soft, add a bit more – but try and avoid having water left over at the end: it will have all the flavour that should be in your vegetables!
- When the vegetables are done, add them to a small food processor. Add all the other ingredients. Process until completely smooth, creamy and whipped. You’ll have to stop regularly to push eveything down and back into the blades. Resist the urge to add more liquid – if you do, you’ll end up with a thinner dip or purée rather than the clouds of whipped loveliness you want.
- Taste for salt and spice, adjusting as desired. Whip a tiny bit more if you add any.