Cool off from the summer heat with this sweet and savory starter. Watermelon and cucumber, super-cooling foods extraordinaire, combine forces to beat the heat. Two minutes of your time makes for a speedy shooter to feed the faces at your party, or keep a young household member happy and refreshed. This also makes a great post-workout smoothie on a hot day. Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best!
Yield: 2 starter sized servings or 1 large post-workout smoothie
What you need:
- 2 cups diced watermelon
- 1 cup diced cucumber (peeled)
- 1/2 teaspoon tamari
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon flax oil or extra virgin olive oil
What you do:
- Dump everything in a blender or Magic Bullet type mixer and blend until smooth and emulsified.
- Serve immediately as the emulsion will separate if left standing.
Variations (choose any or many if desired):
- Add some chopped fresh jalapeño or a couple of dashes of hot sauce before blending;
- Add 1/2 a chopped fresh tomato before blending;
- Add some chopped fresh cilantro before blending.