Kale for breakfast? On Christmas Eve? In my world – yes. Although this would make a great speedy side dish for any spread, so feel free to use it that way if greens to start the day aren’t so much your thing.
Yield: 1 generous serving
What you need:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 leek, white part only, halved and finely sliced
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/2 a large bunch of kale, finely sliced crosswise (lacinato kale preferred here)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- 1/2 an avocado, diced, to serve (optional)
What you do:
- Warm the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add the leek and apple and toss it around a couple of minutes.
- Add the kale. If the pan doesn’t allow for putting it in all at once, add a handful at a time, stirring to wilt in between additions.
- Cook uncovered until the kale is cooked through and the apples and leek tender, 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and mix with the maple syrup. Salt and pepper to taste and garnish with avocado, if desired.